On Friday, March 8, Cabox Aspiring Geopark’s Paul Wylezol and Rob Thomas visited Templeton Academy in Meadows on the North Shore of the Humber Arm to introduce students to the region’s natural and cultural heritage using maps and virtual reality (VR) goggles. The visit to the Grade 3 class of teachers Brandy Thomas and Natasha Caines – which recently learned about maps – began with an introduction to James Cook and the work he did in the Bay of Islands 250 years ago (1767-68). Cook drew the outline of Newfoundland and was followed by 19th and 20th century geologists who, in the tradition of England’s William Smith (1769-1839), “colored” it in.
With the recent installation of Hank Williams’ Tectonic Lithofacies Map of the Appalachian Orogen at the Saltbox Restaurant and Geopark Information Center in Benoit’s Cove, Cabox Geopark has completed Year Two of its 5-year signage strategy. A wide variety of indoor and outdoor signs and interpretive panels have been installed at key locations around the Aspiring Geopark that were created at the IATNL print shop in the Goodhouse Building in Corner Brook, and cost shared by the IATNL and EU Interreg funded Drifting Apart project.
On Saturday, December 15, Cabox Geopark commemorated the 40th Anniversary of the Tectonic Lithofacies Map of the Appalachian Orogen. The map was compiled by renowned Newfoundland Geologist Harold “Hank” Williams, with assistance from his graduate student Jim Hibbard who continued to update and digitize the map at North Carolina State University where he was Professor Emeritus until his recent retirement.
On October 26, 2018, Cabox Geopark in Western Newfoundland commemorated the 250th Anniversary of James Cook’s ‘Chart of the West Coast of Newfoundland’. A large version of the map was installed at the Geopark’s new Saltbox Information Center in Benoit’s Cove on the south side of the Bay of Islands. Other copies of the Chart were (and will be) installed at key locations around the bay, including along the newly designated James Cook Heritage Trail in Blow Me Down Provincial Park in Lark Harbour.
On October 26, Cabox Geopark and the soon to be Saltbox Restaurant in Benoit’s Cove launched the first Cabox Geopark Information Center. Located approximately halfway along Route 450 on the south side of the Bay of Islands, the center will provide natural heritage and outdoor adventure information to both residents and tourists. Opening day included storyboards on renowned surveyor James Cook, who surveyed Newfoundland’s west coast in 1767, and the region’s diverse geology as mapped by a long list of geologists including Newfoundlander Harold “Hank” Williams who colored in Cook’s maps.
On the morning of June 23, IATNL members Ulrica Murley Pye, Sharon MacDonald Lahey, Delano Pittman and Paul Wylezol set off up Winterhouse Gulch on the northeast side of the Tablelands in Gros Morne National Park on a mission to identify and gps track the route for Stage One of the 4-stage UltramaTrex, a 7-9 day trek across the ultramafic sections of the four Bay of Islands Ophiolite Massifs. The first half-hour of the trek was on a well-trodden park trail that begins at the parking lot just off Route 431 above the town of Woody Point.
On June 4-5, the first national workshop of the Canadian Geoparks Network took place in Ottawa. The event was held at the Canadian Council for the Arts and included representatives from UNESCO Global Geoparks and Aspiring Geoparks across Canada, including Cabox. Special guest was Patrick McKeever, UNESCO Chief of Section at the Global Earth Observation division and Secretary of the International Geoscience Programme, including UNESCO Global Geoparks.
On February 25, representatives of the IATNL and Outer Bay of Islands Enhancement Committee (OBIEC) traveled to Iceland to attend the final meeting of the 3-year EU Northern Periphery and Arctic Programme funded Drifting Apart project. They were representing Cabox Aspiring Geopark. The two-day event began the evening of February 26 with a reception at Reykjanes UNESCO Global Geopark Visitor Center, with special guest Ms Eliza Reid, First Lady of Iceland.
During summer 2017, the International Appalachian Trail Newfoundland & Labrador in conjunction with Cabox Aspiring Geopark is commemorating the 250th Anniversary of British navigator, surveyor, cartographer and explorer James Cook’s survey of Western Newfoundland, his fifth and final year of Newfoundland surveys and tenth and final year in Eastern Canada. Commemorations include three new indoor exhibits and the re-designation of two trails on the south side of the Bay of Islands and began on June 21 with an official launch at the Corner Brook Museum and Archives, which has a permanent exhibit dedicated to Cook. Memorial University of Newfoundland (Grenfell Campus) History Professor Olaf Janzen discussed Cook’s time in Newfoundland, including surveys of the Strait of Belle Isle (1763-64), South Coast (1765-66) and West Coast (1767).
On November 28, 2016, the 4th general meeting of Cabox Aspiring Geopark was held at the Atrium of Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland in Corner Brook. In addition to updates on the past year’s developments and a preview of next year’s Canada 150/Cook 250 celebration, Grenfell History Professor Olaf Janzen gave a presentation on James Cook in Newfoundland. The meeting began with a presentation on the geology of Eastern Canada and Western Newfoundland by Alana Hinchey, Senior Geologist with the Newfoundland and Labrador Geological Survey, partner in the EU Interreg funded Drifting Apart project.